The Maine Youth Environmental Leaders Scholarship is a merit-based scholarship awarded to Maine residents currently in 10th grade to attend Maine Coast Semester at Chewonki during the 11th grade. This $15,000 scholarship covers approximately one-half of tuition and fees. Successful applicants will be in the top 20% of their class, have the support of a school or community leader, have demonstrated an appreciation for the natural world, and imagine a future creating positive change in their Maine community.
Maine Coast Semester at Chewonki offers students in their junior year of high school the opportunity to engage in a rigorous and relevant, immersive learning experience that results in a strengthened ownership over their education and the understanding that they can make a positive difference in their world. Maine Coast Semester at Chewonki is accredited by the New England Association of Schools and Colleges and has over 2,000 alumni from the past thirty years.
Although Maine Coast Semester at Chewonki attracts students from all over the United States, as a school deeply rooted in Maine, we are committed to our local communities and welcome the opportunity to make the Maine Coast Semester experience more accessible to Maine students.
In addition to following the regular application process for Maine Coast Semester, we request the following:
- A nomination submitted by a teacher, school administrator, or community leader and accompanied by a letter of recommendation.
- A 500-word essay. Choose ONE of the following questions:
- In what ways have you contributed to improving the relationship between humans and our natural environment in your home community? (or given the chance, what would you do?)
- If you were to leave behind your own legacy for future generations, what would it be and why?
- In what ways does where you live influence how you live?
- An interview (may be in-person or via Skype).
Application Deadline: February 15, 2019
All award decisions will be based on the strength of each applicant’s recommendation letter, essay, interview, and overall application for admission. Applications are reviewed by an admissions committee.
Please contact Sheryl Stearns, Director of Enrollment Management & Financial Aid. Email firstname.lastname@example.org or call (207) 882-7323.
Can I still apply for need-based financial aid?
Yes. As part of the application process, you can submit financial information via SSS.
How many scholarships will be awarded?
Up to two scholarships will be awarded for the 2018-2019 school year.
Can I submit other supporting documents?
To provide an equitable review process for all applicants, please submit only the materials required.