42 students arrived to Chewonki on Saturday, ready and eager to begin Semester 48. Their days thus far have been spent interacting with their new classmates, and through getting-to-know-you games and first day of classes, and getting to know campus, by participating in scavenger hunts and hikes on the neck. Last night was the first Neighbor Night of the semester. This is when the students all gather at a faculty member’s home for dessert and an evening activity. Last night the activity was for the students and faculty to come up with a little known fact about each of them for the group. The list is included below. Can you find your child, friend, or loved one’s fact if you know a student or faculty member in Semester 48?
Be sure to also check out the Semester 48 Flickr page.
1. I starred as Mrs Grinch in my fourth grade play. They wrote in the role especiallyfor me. (I guess I was good enough to be the Grinch but they had a thing for gender roles.)
2. When I was little I collected rocks and at every family gathering I put on a rock show.
3. I played Lady Capulet at my school’s Romeo and Juliet last year.
4. This past summer I went on a two and a half week white water canoe trip in Canada.
5. In 8th grade I was Thomas the Train for Halloween.
6. I have over 100 beauty marks all over.
7. I know a secret language that my whole family knows (besides my dad.)
8. I love country music and know how to two-step. I spent two weeks workingin a zoo last summer.
9. I had over 50 pictures of Mia Hamm in my room for a very VERY long time.
10. I am a lifeguard.
11. I love dinosaurs! I wish I knew more about them! My favorite is the Argentinosuruswhich is the biggest dinosaur discovered.
12. I have been stung by a scorpion.
13. I have played cello since the age of 5.
14. I am a volunteer firefighter.
15. I was born with bright red hair and over time it has gotten darker.
16. I have moved six times.
17. The only part I ever had in a school play was the cow in Into the Woods. I had to walk around on all fours, moo and kind of dance at one point.
18. My second name, which is Indian, mean “always smiling”.
19. After being hooked in the head at age five by my brother, I developed a love for fishing.
20. I used to sing in a choir and once we performed at Carnegie Hall.
21. As a child I was an avid swimmer and allergic to chlorine. I became quite adept at sneezing under water.
22. I have a green fleck in my eye.
23. I wish I lived in a tree house with Robin Hood. I would be happy being the cook forhim and his Merry Men.
24. I have listened to most of a two and a half month long song.
25. I’ve eaten guinea pig.
26. I have been kicked out of a grocery store (the motorized shopping carts are NOT toys).
27. I like to eat frozen peas a lot.
28. I had a cat named Jackson.
29. I was bit by a snake and lived to tell the tale.
30. I was in two plays in junior high.
31. I had ear tubes when I was little.
32. I wish that I was fluent in Spanish.
33. My middle name is Oberrander and some people call me Obie or Obie Wan Kenobe.
34. I had braces for 8 years.
35. I’ve never broken a bone.
36. I like to write poetry.
37. The greatest number of spoons I have ever balanced on my face is 5.
38. I play quidditch.
39. I like white water kayaking.
40. I want to study animal intelligence.
41. I run cross country, indoor track and track and field.
42. Before I was born everyone thought I was going to be a boy so all the clothes and everything were blue. Then my mom had a dream I was wrapped in dried palm leavesand saw that as a sign, so she bought a yellow tub. Then my grandmother was the nurse that delivered me and I came out a girl.
43. I was riding a pony when it stepped on a yellow jacked nest in the corner of a field!
44. I have never gone to school with either of my sisters.
45. I can put my hair up without a hair band and I’m a synesthete.
46. I vlog on youtube.
47. I made an electric guitar for a school wood working project.
48. When I was in kindergarten I wore a blue eye patch due to en eye condition that caused me to see everything double.
49. I can talk in a French accent convincingly to the point where someone thought I was French.
50. After going to the Great Barrier Reef I got my scuba diving license.
51. I was part of a world record last summer.
52. I once found a wooly mammoth tusk in the Alaskan tundra.
53. My middle name describes a big part of what I do.