What excites you about the idea of spending a semester living and studying on the Maine Coast? Is it the science field work, the opportunity to explore Maine on wilderness trips, the excitement about eating the food you help to produce on our organic farm, the desire to learn more about alternative energy sources or the chance to be part of a semester of 41 other individuals who have all decided to do something different? Whatever it is, you have less than 10 days left to make that excitement a possibility.
Deciding to spend a semester living on the Maine Coast is not for everyone, but our alumni would all tell you applying to Chewonki Semester School was one of the best decisions they made in life. Ella Driscoll, Semester 47 and Class of 2017 at Bowdoin College shares her perspective in the letter below.
Like many of you, I sat at school debating whether or not I wanted to spend a semester away. I thought about my academics and my friends, my sports and my family, the Mountain School and HMI, and fall or spring. Here are five reasons why I’m glad I went to Chewonki and why I think you should take a risk and apply to Chewonki.
1. I made beautiful, intense, eternal friendships with people from a multitude of backgrounds, cultures, and geographic regions. Chewonki is self-selecting—everyone wants to be there and has something beautiful that they bring to the table. Before you experience it, it is hard to imagine the beauty and power in that connection.
2. I learned what it means to have a sense of place. I had no idea that at the end of my semester I would not only understand the dirt beneath my toes, but also my relationship to it.
3. From the white foam that hits Chewonki’s rocky shores to the high mountains in the distance, Maine is spectacularly gorgeous. It took me about two minutes to fall in love with the seaside majesty that is Chewonki.
4. I didn’t think it would be possible to smile from dawn until dusk, every single day. But during Semester 47, I did.
5. I said yes to the single-handedly most transformational and gorgeous experience I’ve ever had. I feel truly humbled by each and every moment. I hope that you, too, will say yes by filling out an application.
If you want to hear more about why I chose Chewonki, if you have any questions, or you just want to chat about anything Maine, please feel free to contact me.
Bowdoin College Class of ‘17